As someone who has used both a PowerBook G4 (667MHz) and an iBook (or
iceBook), I would base the choice on the following observations about the
machines:

*iBook 800
Pros:-
1) Very sturdy and strong polycarbonate case
2) G3 processor runs much cooler than the PowerBook G4 case
3) Smaller form factor (12.1" LCD model) makes it more flexible when it
comes to travelling.
4) Will run most applications (if not all) as well as the PowerBook G4 -
you'll need to up the RAM to handle more applications.
5) Better airport reception than PowerBook.

Cons:-
1) G3 Processor as opposed to the G4 Processor - not really much of a
difference at this stage, as many applications do not take advantage of the
Altivec instruction set in the G4.
2) No audio-in jack.
3) No PCMCIA slot.
4) White polycarbonate case tends to show highlight scratches.
5) Horrible to disassemble and upgrade hard drive.

*PowerBook G4 (New)
Pros:-
1) Large hi-res screen - useful if you are into serious graphics
manipulation and video editing
2) Superdrive - why not?
3) Thin form factor & very light
4) PCMCIA slot
5) Audio-in jack
6) Gigabit Ethernet - handy to have, especially since more switches are
going Gigabit. Provides for increased network speeds.
7) Looks professional
8) Excellent internal design means it's very easy to upgrade RAM and hard
drives.

Cons:
1) Titanium enclosure tends to dent easily - especially at the top lid.
Ouuch!
2) Titanium coloured metal around the keyboard susceptable to fading and
peeling. I'm not sure if this has been changed on the 800s, but this was
certainly the case on many 400/500s.
3) Poorer Airport reception than iBook.
4) Metal case susceptable to static (zap) when used outside the USA due to
different AC voltage levels overseas. I've encountered many cases of this
here in Asia.
5) G4 processor runs rather warm and this can be felt throughout the metal
casing.
6) Slot load optical drives are rather fragile and more susceptable to
damage than the iBook's tray loading ones.

For me, I would rather go for the iBook if my needs are not very high-end.
I've met numerous PowerBook G4 owners who tell me that they have regretted
their decision to purchase the PowerBook based on the quality problems that
they had (paint peeling/bubbling, static issues etc). Of course, if you
take good care of the machine, the paint issue would not be much of a
problem. I prefer the plastic feel of the iBook as opposed to the metal
case of the PowerBook G4.

It's really based on your needs at this point in time. An extra US$800 is a
lot and you will need to justify it with your needs. I'm using the older
black PowerBook (Pismo 400MHz - also referred to as PowerBook 2000) and it
works well with OSX 10.2.1. Your iBook should outperform this Pismo in
leaps and bounds. I personally prefer the Pismo in terms of durability.

Hope that helps,

Mark.

"WARNING  :  "Privileged/Confidential  information may be contained in this
message.  If  you  are  not  the  intended  addressee,  you  must not copy,
distribute  or  take  any  action in reliance thereon. Communication of any
information  in  this  email to any unauthorised person is an offence under
the Official Secrets Act (Cap 213). Please notify the sender immediately if
you receive this in error."

                    Eugene Lee

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(G-Books)
                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Subject:     Re: powerbook opinion

                    aunch.com>

                    (G-Books)

                    24/11/2002 0743 AM

                    Please respond to