On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 11:49 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On 25/11/02 14:46, "Laurence - SMT Tricept" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have got a 20GB hard drive on my PowerBook G4 Titanium 500MHz
>> and I am thinking about partitioning it as follows:
>>
>> 7GB Mac OS X and OS X apps
>> 3GB Mac OS 9.2.2 and Classic apps
>> 10GB for data
>>
>> I don't want to run Classic in OS X which is why I am prepared to
>> have a seperate Mac OS 9 partition.
>>
>> Are there any good or bad things about this setup ?
>
> I think that's a good setup. It keeps OS X and OS 9 on separate
> partitions,
> so if, for any reason, you need to re-install one or the other, you
> don't
> have to install both. Your data would also be safe. All in all, that's
> my
> preferred way of partitioning for both OS X and 9.

I should note, though, that you don't have to have them in separate
partitions to use them separately. You can have OS9 and OSX on the same
partitions and just boot one or the other...

having things on separate partitions does improve data security in a
crash though. I have all myy OSX and OS9 stuff in s single partition,
and I have a separate smaller partition with OS9 as an emergency boot
partition. If you make that the first partition on the drive, you an
force it to boot by holding down D when the computer starts up. That
way you can force either OSX or OS9 to boot, depending on your needs.

-Hal