I would suggest checking the drive cable.  Make sure it doesn't have
any obvious defects.  If it doesn't, it may be the IDE controller.  I'm
assuming that this machine is no longer under AppleCare, and that
you've done a format and re-install, thus eliminating a software issue.
  If you have an Apple Service Provider in your area, it might be worth
your while to have them do some hardware diagnostics.

Erick