On 03/12/02 14:49, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My Reply follows quote. On 03/12/2002 09:54 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> said:
>
>> From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Johnson)
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> This message written: Monday, 2 December 2002 16:42:59 PST
>>>
>>> Found one of these today for a few cents. Plugged it into the lower slot
>>> of a Wallstreet running OS 9.2.2. the three LEDs on the "antenna" of the
>>> card lit up, with the Red and Yellow remaining lit. An icon appeared on
>>> the desktop with "Am 79C930." Double clicking the icon opens the TCP/IP
>>> control panel.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have information on this thing? Will it work "out of the box"
>>> or does it need some special drivers?
>>>

>> Looks like it works, if the card appears on the desktop. Does TCP/IP
>> control panel offer a choice of Ethernet interfaces?
> ------------
> Hmm, just ran a "test." No, TCP/IP only shows Ethernet on the "button"
> choices. Same thing with the card in or out, with another cable from the
> "normal" ethernet connector on the back of the computer in addition to
> the card.
>
> Thanks for the input.

Then, you might need some kind of driver to use the card. Not implying that
those drivers exists, though, just that you would need something to make the
card recognized by the system. For those that used the Asante EN-SC (which
was basically Ethernet over SCSI) for Macs without Ethernet or PCMCIA slots
(like the PowerBook Duos), you had to install a driver so that the TCP/IP
control panel would recognize the device as an Ethernet interface.

-Laurent.