<< >I have a 3 year old I Book and installed Appleworks 6 a year or more ago.
All
>of a sudden, I am finding it is taking 3 to 5 seconds for
>a letter to appear while I am word processing ; in addition, it is taking 30
>seconds or more for the  Appleworks program to activate, after I open it. It
>is almost like it is 'frozen.'  I have reinstalled both OS 9 and Appleworks
>several times, but this has not fixed the  problem.
>Has any one had this happen? What is the cause? How can I fix it? >>

I had the same problem. The fix that worked for me is:

1. Open the Appleworks folder and find the AutoSave folder.
2. Open the AutoSave folder and delete all the items that you find in it.
3. Find the Starting Points folder in the AppleWorks folder and open it.
4. Find and open the Recent Items Folder which is in the Starting Points
Folder.
5. Trash all the items in the Recent Folder.
6. The slowdown problem should be alleviated.
7. If this works, periodically go through the above steps every month or so,
depending on how often you use AppleWorks.

Good luck.

- Steve Greenberg