On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 07:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 12/17/2002 11:45:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>>  How did you get Jaguar on a rev A clamshell iBook? The Apple
>> site says it needs 3 gig on the hard drive and that's the entire hard
>> drive. I have such an iBook, love it and would love to get
>> OS X on it.
>
> Hi Terry!
>    I had my machine upgraded with an 80 gig harddrive.  I had it done
> by www.WegenerMedia.com  [I had sent them my iBook to repair the
> touchpad cable I tore trying to reseat a loose phone  modem jack...and
> I had them install the larger drive at the same time.]  [Good prices,
> great people, I highly recommend them.]
>      OS X needs ram to run smoothly.  I would recommend you install a
> 256 chip in your machine.    The Apple website says that is the max a
> Rev A  will take (but that was written back before huge ram chips).  I
> have ordered a special  low power 512 chip  to try installing in my
> Rev A clamshell.  [I will post the results and specs  after it
> arrives.]

Right now, I'm on an iMac 233 with a 4GB hard drive and 160MB of RAM,
which I've been using awaiting my iBook.  It belongs to my girlfriend
and works surprisingly well!  Right now, the hard drive has 374MB
available.  She has some bigger things installed like "The Sims" and
some MP3's.  She also never deleted any of the applications OS X
installs that she doesn't use.   You may be able to at least give OS X
a trial run with the 3.2GB drive.  It is slow at times with only 160MB,
but I ran my B&W G3 with 128MB for a couple weeks after I bought it
while waiting for RAM to come in the mail.  I have found OS X on lesser
hardware to be a pretty acceptable experience.

My next project is getting my sister over to Jag.  She has a Blueberry
iBook 300 with 5GB and 64MB.  Her Christmas gift from me is going to be
some memory and a hard disk.  I can't wait to see her face when she
pulls computer components out of her gift :-)

GmG