On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:04  PM, Joe Ellis wrote:

>> I would put my vote in for the Pismo as well.
>>
>> 1) Everyone seems to like them, so it should be easy to sell down the
>> road.
>> 2) They can be had relatively inexpensively at this point
>> 3) They are light (as g3 powerbooks go)
>> 4) They are tough as nails (I actually read a forum post about a guy
>> who accidentally left one on top of his car.  When he drove back and
>> found it on the side of the road, it booted up!)
>> 5) Geez, you gotta love all those ports!  :-)
>>
>> Okay, so I own a Pismo and I am a little biased, but the truth is, I
>> have yet to desire a TiBook because this machine has just been plain
>> great!
>
> Add my vote for the Pismo, I have one that now has a 40 Gig HD and 756
> MB of
> RAM running 10.2.2 and it is great. The only upgrade I haven't done
> yet is
> the G4 processor which will probably happen next year, no TIbook envy
> here.
> I really think the Pismo is the ultimate machine for anyone who
> travels and
> needs a reliable laptop.

having both a Pismo and a TiBook... I'll have to vote for the TiBook
here.

I don't have any media bay devices for my Pismo and, even though my
Pismo has more memory in it, the TiBook smokes it something bad, even
though they're both 400MHz. Despite a concerns that the TiBook isn't
rugged, I've found it to be remarkably resilient.

But the real reason that my TiBook gets so much more use than my Pismo
is screen real estate. The wide-angle screen alone is worth every penny
I paid for this machine. On a Pismo running OS X, I find the Dock to be
slightly irritating because it takes up valuable screen space, and
given the fairly square screen, there's no good place to pin the dock.
I eventually chose the right side, since that side tends to impede
applications less. On the TiBook, however.... pinning the Dock to the
right side turns the Dock from a minor irritation into OS X's Killer
App. Having the extra width, and putting the Dock over there, really
makes the Dock (and OS X) shine. Even with the dock on the screen, I
still have more than enough screen space to juggle Dreamweaver,
Photoshop, iChat, my email, and 3 browsers, and I can usually switch
between them without having to run over to the dock because I can see
virtually all of the windows while I'm working.