On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 08:29  PM, Larrie Easterly wrote:

> I am running a PowerBook Lombard and have OS X sitting in a box on the
> floor
> waiting to be installed. I am trying to decide on the best way to set
> up my
> system to use OS X. There are three possibilities.

First off, I hope it's OSX 10.2x. The prior OSX versions left a few
things to be desired, but most of those issues were addressed in Jag
(10.2.x and later.) The Lombard, while a worthy and capable portable
Mac was the last *not* specifically designed to run OSX. That being
said, any flavor of X has its points that make it worthwhile over the
Classic OSes.; most notably, the lack of crashes under heinous
circumstances.

> 1. Add OS X to the existing hard drive and leave OS 9.2 on it.
>
> 2. Partition the existing drive and use one volume for each OS.

Each has its pros and cons for your configuration. In a nutshell,
partitioning reduces security if you have both on different partitions,
but increases serviceability, but you might benefit from it depending
on what you do with your 'book, or you might not. Either is okay on a
Lombard.

> 3. Use my external hard drive for all of my OS 9.2 stuff and all of my
> data
> files and put the OS X system and all of it s applications on the
> internal
> dirve.

Well, there ya go. That's easy and simple right there. Leave your OS9
stuff on that drive.

> So the question is, which of the above solutions is the better way to
> go?

depends. Sounds like you don't specifically use your Mac for
specifically designed tasks, but rather general uses, so installing (
on the same partition) is definitely simpler.

HTH,

dave