Bruce said:
>if it doesn't work, it's a
>problem with the SCSI port on the slave P'book,
>the cable in the middle or the scsi port on the host P'book.

Or it could be operator error....
Encouraged by responses from other list members I tried it again and it
worked fine this time around. I did open the SCSSI disk mode control
panel on the Wallstreet and change the SCSSI ID number form 2 to 3 but I
don't think that should make any difference since the wallstreet was on
the computer end of the cable (the 520 was in disk mode).

Thanks to Jon, Dave, Bruce and Mark for advice and encouragement.

For the record the Wallstreet is a 266 model with system 9.2.2 and the
520 has system 7.5.
The cable in question is an adapter that plugs into the high density
port on the powerbook and has a DB25 female connector (like the SCSSI
connector on the back of a desktop MAC).
The second half of the cable is a powerbook SCSSI cable, male DB25 on
one end, high density SCSSI on the other. I think you can use this cable
to connect the powerbook to a SCSSI device but I'm not sure since all my
external drives have the centronics style connectors.
The adapter has a switch labelled "dock". To connect a standard SCSSI
device you set the switch to off and connect to the DB25 connector.
For SCSSI dock mode you set the switch to on, connect the DB25-high
density cable to the adapter and plug the adapter into the computer that
is going to be the hard drive. Switch on the powerbook with the adapter
plugged into it then switch on the other powerbook. The docked powerbook
should display a SCSSI logo with the ID number, the other powerbook
should show the normal desktop with the docked computer's drive mounted.

I wonder if the 520 would mount the wallstreet drive???

--
Andrew King
Ann Arbor Michigan