on 14/01/03 22:16, Nick at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Laurent, I had a stock 12 Gig 4200 rpm Toshiba in my Pismo 500.  Before
> moving to Jaguar I replaced it with a 40 Gig 5400 rpm 16 meg cache Toshiba,
> the difference in speed when I boot in 9.2.2 is just amazing, HUUUUGE
> difference, and 10.2.3 seems as fast as in G4 Titaniums (at least the first
> edition).
>
> on 1/14/03 2:02 PM, Laurent Daudelin at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
>> Now that my interest has been sparkled, I'm wondering if anybody could
>> confirm noticing an appreciable increase in performance going from a 4200 to
>> a 5400rpm drive. I just checked my 20 GB and, sure enough, it's a 4200rpm. I
>> don't have any speed complain in OS X (sure, it could always be faster), but
>> if the difference is substantial, if you can feel it, then I'd like to know.

Well, it seems I will wait then to get a 5400rpm since the speed increase
seems to be appreciable based on all the comments I got so far. So, after
seeing a speed increase when I went to Jaguar from previous OS X versions, I
should be experiencing another speed increase whenever I replace that drive.
The only problem, kinda, is that those 5400rpm drives tend to be on the
expensive side!

Nick, you're talking about a Toshiba. I guess you like it so far. How long
have you been using it? Care to give more details about it, like the model
number, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."