On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 09:16  PM, Nick wrote:

> Laurent, I had a stock 12 Gig 4200 rpm Toshiba in my Pismo 500.  Before
> moving to Jaguar I replaced it with a 40 Gig 5400 rpm 16 meg cache
> Toshiba,
> the difference in speed when I boot in 9.2.2 is just amazing, HUUUUGE
> difference, and 10.2.3 seems as fast as in G4 Titaniums (at least the
> first
> edition).

the 16MB cache probably accounts for your speed improvement more than
the 5400RPM does.

some of the very latest 4500RPM drives have better transfer rates than
many of the current and just-past generation 5400RPM drives, all other
things (like cache) being equal.

for most applications, the difference between a 4500RPM drive and a
5400RPM drive is negligible. digital video and audio would be two key
areas where 5400RPM (or even 7200RPM, in desktops) is crucial.