>> - Apple staffers will tell you it's a
>> Portable Computer, not a Laptop. Come to think of it, virtually all
>> portable manufacturers are doing this now).
>
> I normally put my TiBook on a largish book on my lap  (so that there
> is a bit of airflow under it). I think the screen takes a lot of
> juice. Using my 800mHz Tibook with an external keyboard and monitor,
> with the lid shut, the fan comes on less often.

I used to do that with my Wallstreet, but heat wasn't nearly the
problem with the old G3s that it is with the Titaniums. My dad has his
TiBook (550 MHz) propped up on two ankle weights, so there's a good
deal of air space underneath. I keep my iBook on a Podium CoolPad,
which not only gives air circulation, but it also raises the keyboard
and screen and allows you to rotate the laptop. Of course, iBooks don't
build up as much head as TiBooks do either.