Mark on 1/21/03 6:32 AM wrote:

> I've decided to retire my PB 1400 w/G3 upgrade (unfortunately never as
> reliable w/the G3 added).  I'm looking for suggestions for the next PB
> (used).  I do mostly word processing and a little surfing, but mainly this
> will be another typing machine.  What I really need is battery life.  I'd
> like to get a dependable 3 hours at a sitting.  I suppose I could carry an
> extra battery if I had to, but that kind of defeats the ease of travel
> issue.  I guess it boils down to this: nice writing machine, active matrix
> screen, 3 hour battery life, $500 tops.  Any suggestions, or am I dreaming?
> Thanks, M

Mark. At the very least, I would suggest getting a PowerBook with a USB port
built in. Since you do a lot of writing, it would make sense that you will
do a lot of printing at some point, and you'll want to easily hook up a
printer.

I would suggest looking at one of the original iBooks. Most are going for
less than $500, they get good battery life and they're very durable. I have
one of the new Dual USB (white) iBooks but I set up a nice 300Mhz Blueberry
iBook for my niece and was very impressed with it. She got it for $400. I
even thought the screen seemed to be a bit brighter and sharper, although
limited to 800x600 (same as the 1400 but with a 12" screen). Plus they have
all the other stuff you'll need like modem, ethernet, CD-ROM etc. Plus they
are all AirPort capable which if you ever get into wireless, you'll wonder
how you could live without it.

Since you indicate this is mainly a typing machine, the only problem I see
you having, is trying to find any PowerBook/iBook that has a keyboard as
nice as the 1400. I had one once and found it to be the best keyboard of
anything Apple has produce before or since. While I'm happy with the
keyboard on my iBook, I still remember the tactile feel of the 1400, as well
as how solid it was (push firmly while typing on any of the current
keyboards and you can see them flex). While this is not a major issue, it's
something to consider. You do get used to it though.

-Mark K