Hello listreaders,

> From: Jeremy Derr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 10:44 AM, James Rohde wrote:
>> But the Pismo's batteries are Lithium Ion ones....  So when they
>> start to go, you have to start looking for a replacement one. Hard
>> part is, with the Pismos being about 3 years old, there will be a
>> declining number of available batteries available to buy....
>
> correct. for all intents and purposes, LiIon batteries are dead when
> they die....

So what I want to know is can a hobbyist with a soldering gun take
apart one of these dead Li-ion battery modules and replace the cells?
Surely Apple uses a standard battery cell inside the module.  I recall
seeing an x-ray picture of a battery module once and it looked like it
may contain parts that could be replaced.

Has anyone here "rebuilt" a Pismo Li-ion battery?  Or got insight into
how it could or could not be done?  I know I'll be facing this problem
in a year or two myself.  I'm hoping the battery goes before my
AppleCare goes.

--Jim.