On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 10:44 AM, James Rohde wrote:

> But the Pismo's batteries are Lithium Ion ones (not Nickel Cadmium as
> with older PowerBooks like the 1400's), and LiIon batteries don't have
> the 'memory effect' for them. Instead (IIRC), LiIon batteries have a
> limited number of recharges in them (don't recall the number, but it's
> above 20-30, I'm sure).  So when they start to go, you have to start
> looking for a replacement one. Hard part is, with the Pismos being
> about
> 3 years old, there will be a declining number of available batteries
> available to buy. I replaced my Pismo's battery after a bit more than a
> year, and at the time I got the replacement, the BTI batteries had the
> best price/features. You might do a check with Google (or your search
> engine of choice) for Pismo, PowerBook, battery, etc. (or check
> DealMac,
> NextTag, or another price-comparing site).
>
> As far as I'm aware, there is no effective 'battery reconditioning'
> method for Lithium Ion batteries.

correct. for all intents and purposes, LiIon batteries are dead when
they die. Reconditioning is not a given on older NiCad batteries,
either, but in general tended to work.

LiIon battery life is usually measured in 'charge cycles'. Nearly all
LiIon batteries are rated at approximately 500 charge cycles.

that is, you can usually drain and recharge a LiIon battery about 500
times. For most people, this is a 2-3 year life span.