Clarification....The manufacturer of the solid rocket booster that
blew...Martin Thiokol had provided recommendations against launching when
icing conditions were possible or occured before launch time.  NASA was
facing a limited launch window and the POLITICAL considerations drove the
decision to launch...The attendant PR excess for the first "civilian" and
Teacher ie. Christa MaCauliffe was the over-riding factor.  If the launch
would have been delayed to de-ice, the launch window would have passed and a
minimum 24 hr delay would be necessary...The weather forecast was for even
colder weather to ocur so the decision was made to "go" without the
recommended de-icing and safety check...You all know the result of political
pressures over-riding sound scientific judgement...The "O" ring shrank more
than expected and resulted in an exhaust leak that was sufftctent to ignite
the upper stage of the srb and to blow the adjoining LOX tank..
Regards,
Mike K