Hi there, I'm new to this list.

problem quick summary: occasional hardware ethernet address of "not
applicable" in my Wallstreet 266.

I just dug out this Wallstreet series II (266 MHz) that hasn't been
used in a few years. It works well! Except for one little problem....

I installed 9.2.1 on it, had it playing iTunes net radio on my cable
modem connection (through a router). Worked well for a few weeks. Until
I plugged it into a small 4 port 10/100 hub. So we have: cable modem ->
router -> hub -> { wallstreet , dual 500 G4 }. Networking worked for a
short period of time, then stopped: the TCP/IP control panel showed no
DHCP info; clicking on the "info" button revealed a hardware address
of.... "not applicable". argh. And hey, my dual 500 desktop - plugged
into the hub also - can't access the net all of a sudden, either!
(fixed by unplugging and replugging its ethernet cable into the hub)
Tech Tool Deluxe showed no hardware problems. I got the powerbook to
connect again a day or two later, and we're back with a hardware
ethernet address, but I don't know what that problem was. Yeah. And
today I was transferring files from the dual to the Wallstreet, and I
left the wallstreet sitting there open and on, and after a while it
fell asleep, and immediately my desktop lost its network connection
(remember they are sharing the hub). What on earth is going on? Is the
Wallstreet zapping my hub? Is the battery going bad? It holds a charge
pretty well.

I should mention that 1) this powerbook was repaired back in 1998
(coffee spill) and 2) the battery gets disconnected sometimes when the
case is flexed when on battery only - date reverts to 1976 (not 1904?).
Any help would be appreciated. thanks

-russell

Russell Holt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   ~   http://www.holtorama.com/russell/