On 04/02/03 12:22, "Mark D. Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use both a dual USB icebook and a 7500 desktop (OS 8.1). I use them
> both regularly and need to synchronize the data between the two
> machines. When I moved to OS X on the iBook I discovered that there
> was no free sychronization program.
>
> While I may end up buying one (any suggestions?) I would rather use
> the one on my 7500. My problem is that I can't get my 7500 to connect
> to my iBook (it works fine the other way around). I can see the iBook
> in the chooser, and I can enter a password to access it. However,
> when I hit return it tells me that the connection has suddenly
> dropped. Using TCP/IP fares no better.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

No idea about what could be wrong, unfortunately. You might also want to
know that if you go that route and end up making it works, you might
encounter additional problems. I was in the same boat than you when I
started using OS X full time on my PowerBook while my desktop machine was
still using OS 9. The Apple's provided free synchronization tool was prone
to choke on invisible files that are maintained by OS X and I would
sometimes have problems synchronizing folders.

Now, if I can put a shameless plug here, since I was having those problems
and couldn't find an affordable solution for synchronizing on OS X (too
expensive or too cumbersome to use), I ended up writing my own
synchronization utility and I decide to put it for sale. The single-user
license is only $9 and you can get more info from my personal web site at
<http://nemesys.dyndns.org/FileSynchronization_EN.html>. I initially based
the tool on the original free Apple synchronization tool, but I added some
options to get rid of some annoyances I had with the Apple tool. Oh, and
it's all based on Cocoa, so it's fully compatible with OS X.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.