On 2/9/03 3:22 PM, "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My Pismo came with 9.0.4.  But I use 9.2.3 (the latest update)
> regularly and it's fine.  I don't know if it would boot with anything
> earlier than 9.0.4.  Looking at Apple's tech specs, they say the
> Original SSW was 9.0 (not just 9).  So I suspect it *ought* to boot off
> any version of 9.  Maybe Kyle has something a bit more definite on this
> point.

A Mac will only boot from the Mac OS version it came with or higher. The one
exception to this is that if the system version that the computer came with
came out BEFORE the computer was introduced, most likely the system CD-ROM
that came with the computer is a version of the system that has had some
minor tweaks that specifically address the new computer, but not enough
changes to warrant a new version number.

For example, my Pismo 400 came with Mac OS 9.0.4. However, it will not boot
off a Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD that I had received when I purchased Mac OS 9
for my Beige G3 that I had at the time. The install CD that came with the
Pismo will not boot the Beige G3. The Pismo DOES boot from the Mac OS 9.1 CD
that came with Mac OS X.

So, even though both disks SAY Mac OS 9.0.4, they aren't quite the same
thing. This is one of the reasons that Apple puts different labels on the
CDs that come with the computers. They are specialized versions of the OS
and its installer specifically for that computer. The CDs you purchase in
the retail box all have the same type of label (different from the ones that
came with the computer) and will boot all supported systems that were
available at the time the retail version was released.

I hope this clears things up a little.

Sincerely,

Scott
--
"This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election,
and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail.