On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 09:43  PM, Sephee wrote:

> Firewire cable in hand it was a 2 min fix, connecting the 'books,
> starting in target disk mode, replacing the BootX file from backup, and
> rebooting. Boy I'm SO happy with Apple's decision to fix (cripple) the
> boot process of the new hardware making it really EEEASY to fix
> corrupted software by first booting the affected machine ALL the way
> (successfully), logging in, then clicking on the cute little Software
> Restore app in the Utilities folder. Then after you enter your lovely
> admin password, you can finally get some use out of the restore DVD
> that clearly reads on disk itself:
>       "To start up from Mac OS X on this DVD, hold down the C key as the
> computer starts up."
>
> Thank goodness I had the Pismo (which by the way, starts up from just
> about every Mac system disk I throw at it) but what about those
> unfortunate souls that dont have another Mac handy. Well... hopefully
> this will at least be a word of warning to them.

your Pismo won't boot to any system disk that came out before it did.

it shipped with OS 9.0.4, it will NOT boot to an OS 9.0 CD.
or an OS 8.X CD.

this is nothing different just with the AlBooks, either.

My PowerBook G4 shipped with OS 9.1. It will not boot to OS 9.0.4 or
earlier.

Nothing was "crippled" ... Apple just hasn't updated OS 9 to support
that machine.