on 14/2/03 12:12, David M. Ensteness at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Uhm actually more 3rd party burners have been supported in each version
> of Mac OS X. If you really don't believe it I can look up the feature
> pages on the various updates and show you ... or I spose you could go
> look yourself. For example though 10.2.4 notes that it adds support for
> the 48x LaCie drives.

OS X 10.2 killed support for my drive (& I have had that verified from
another owner of the same drive): Sony 24/10/40 internal. I also lost
support for my USB burner along the way (don't remember which version of OS
X 10.x.x killed that! Fortunately I never used the internal burning software
except to gauge OS X's support for third party burners :) Since it doesn't
do multi-session back-ups or gives you any control over the CDs you create
it was next to useless for real back-up (other than if you wanted to dump a
whole lot of stuff to disk at once and that was pretty rare).

Of course... this is also the company that used AFTER-SALE FirmWare updates
to maliciously disable G4 updates in B&Ws, merely to prevent the B&W from
competing with the first generation G4 (which didn't add anything
substantial to the design of the computer). Fortunately, the upgrade cos
have managed to disable the disabler but still, it's pretty repugnant that
they sabotaged the hardware, after ownership had been transferred away from
their control. IIRC there was also a pretty obvious case of such malicious
FirmWare sabotage in one of the laptops (if they didn't want to include the
feature in those particular computers, they shouldn't have sold the
computers with such a feature, *even* if it wasn't advertised as such).

Eric.