On 2/17/03 11:32 AM, "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the
Cybertrough:

> I assume shredding is much better for personal and operating system health
> reasons? When it says that the trashed file is still physically located on
> your disk until another file overwrites it, does that mean that the original
> file then becomes deleted forever when it is written over? How can I tell if a
> certain file has been overwritten? Can I permanently delete a file without
> using a product like Safeshred?

What happens is when you delete a file it's directory entry is erased.  The
file still exists until it is necessary to overwrite it..

Think of it as a library.  When you permanently remove a book (file) the
book (file) is not removed from the library (Hard Disk) immediately.  That
would be a waste of resources.  All that is done is the Card Catalog entry
(directory data) is removed.  Then when another book (file) needs the space
the librarian (Operating System) goes out into the shelves and places a new
book (file) where the old one is and throws the old one out.  This way the
librarian doesn't make 2 trips needlessly.  One to remove the file, and
another to place a new file later on.

Programs like safe shred shred the 1's and 0's that make up the file data,
but it is just a program. All program's can be reverse engineered to recover
data.

Which brings me to my point.  The *only* way to completely erase your hard
disk it to shred it...and I am not talking about the software program.  I am
talking about physical destruction.  You are never truly safe.  Just relax
and don't worry about it.  If you have something THAT important to hide you
should use removeable media and keep it on your person.
Kyle H. Hansen
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Solution Expert
Macintosh Server Administrator