Dustin,

I see you've got a number of replies to your problem, but I'm not sure
the terrific advice they've offered will help you much.  I had a
similar problme with my Pismo.  Your symptoms are identical to what I
experienced.  The solution, though weird, is simple and reliable.  It
was not a partition problem, nor a corruption.  It amounts to
rebuilding the OS9 desktop.

This is what you have to do.  Print or write out these steps.

1) Boot up in OS X.  (Or quit all applications if already
    in OS X.  If classic is already running, force-quit it.)
2) Open the startup disk control:
    AppleMenu -> SystemPreferences -> StartupDisk
3) In the Startup Disk control, click on your partition
    having the OS 9 startup system folder, to designate it
    as the startup disk.  Do NOT click "restart".
4) Click on "Show All" (system preferences) and when the
    popup window asks if are sure you want to change the
    startup disk, click "change".
5) Click on "classic" in the System section of the
    System Preferences window.
6) Click the "Advanced" tab.
7) Click "Rebuild Desktop" in the "other classic utilities"
    section.  (It may take a few seconds after step 6 for
    the "rebuild desktop" button to become active.)  Do
    NOT click "start classic".
8) Close the System Preferences window.
9) From your Apple Menu, choose "restart".

Your Mac now should boot up in OS 9 without trouble.

I don't know why it is necessary to rebuild the desktop like this, but
I do know that after running OS X and/or classic for a while, the only
way to get my Mac to boot up again in OS 9 is to go through the above
steps.  At least it works!  I always rebuild the OS 9 desktop before
carbon-copy cloning my periodic backups as well, to insure that the
backup disk is bootable in 9, if I happen to need that.

Hope this helps!

--Jim.