on 3/11/03 11:42 AM, Laurent Daudelin at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> On 11/03/03 10:33, "Andre Ruegg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to add OmniPage (or any other app) as a permanent member of
>> the list of "recommended applications" able to open .tiff files? Going
>> through the process of selecting OmniPage by going through the show "all
>> applications" option for each file is getting old. :-(
>
> Well, I think that in OS X, applications declare their supported file types
> into a file named 'Info-Macos.plist' for Carbon applications, and simply
> 'Info.plist' for Cocoa applications. You can access that file is you right
> or control click an application, then select 'Show Content'. Then, open the
> 'Content' directory. In those XML formatted files, there is usually an entry
> key named 'CFBundleDocumentTypes' which is an array of dictionaries, each
> providing information about the various file types that the application
> supports. So, if you could find one application supporting that document
> type, you could be able to add this information to the OmniPage application
> package so that I think that the system would show it in the 'Recommended
> Applications'.
>
> Note that I haven't tried any of this. I'm just providing my developer
> knowledge about file type mapping...
>
> -Laurent.

Thanks, Laurent. I was hoping for a simpler answer. :-)

When this headache goes away, I'll read your instructions again and decide
if it is actually as complicated as it seems in my present state. If it
looks possible for my non-developer self, I'll give it a try. It might be
easier to get OmniPage to update their program.

Thanks again,

Andre