I had what I think was a similar problem trying to install 10.2 on my
wallstreet 250.

I was "forced" to upgrade because I was getting a flashing question mark at
startup. It would boot from the 10.2 cd, but then hang during the install. I
tried everything I could think of including:
Removing suspect ram, choosing to do the minimal install, using the BSD file
system, and propping up the back of the machine in a cooling effort.

I was persistent and it finally installed. I was doing all of this at the
time, but I would bet that doing the minimum install and removing suspect
ram did more good than anything else. After getting everything setup and
running software update to 10.2.4. I thought I would try installing optional
things off the 10.2 cd, big mistake. Once I booted off the 10.2 cd it put me
right back were I started. It would no longer boot and gave me a flashing
question mark.

This time I repeated, adding some disk scanning with the utility included on
the 10.2 cd. My new install has been fairly stable for about a week now.
I've added back the suspect ram with few problems. I have had the video lock
up twice I believe, during installs also. However, I was able to listen for
the disk to quit spinning and shutdown gracefully using keyboard
combinations.

For what it's worth
--Kris