I know there are some folks here that know lots more that me about all
this, but since I started down this road, I'm going to finish it up.
Guys, don't hesitate to tell me if I give wrong advice.

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 03:12 PM, Jim Eddy wrote:
> Kyle and John,
> Thanks for your help here. I've downloaded the utility John mentioned
> and will try it as soon as I get home tonight.
> In the network pane, cisco has added a new choice of network port they
> call "Ethernet Adapter (en1)". It has the same choices as the
> "Ethernet" port but no others.

Yep, that's all there is.

> Should my network connections through the card just "be there?" No
> connections to make?

If everything is installed properly, you should be connected to the
base station (not the internet) as soon as you power up you mac.  you
did install the cisco driver, right?  If you installed the new one,
there is icon in your menu bar.  pull down the menu and you should be
able to open the cisco utility which will tell you whether it's
associated with a base station.  The only other thing you have to set
is the base station itself using the airport admin utility, which is
where you set up the number the modem (in the base station) dials out
etc,   Under the internet tab, you can set whether you have manual or
automatic connections.  If you do not check the automatic dial then you
will have to run the software I told you about in order for the base
station to dial out.

> How do I share files with other computers on the
> network

Well you need to go into your system preferences and select the sharing
icon and check the check box for file sharing.  That will allow others
to log into this computer.  Of course you'll need to do the same thing
for any other computers you want to log into.  While you're there, if
you're using a USB printer, go down and check the box for sharing usb
printers (or check it on the computer that the usb printer is hooked
to.)  Also look up above and check out the name of the computer.  This
is the name that will appear when you try to network to this computer.
For example I named my wallstreet, Blackbird.  With file sharing
enabled, if you go to one of the other computers and while you're in
the finder, pull down the GO menu and select connect to at the bottom.
The computer you just named will pop up and you can log in.  Bear in
mind though that how you log in will determine what files you can
access.

> or share the printer on the iMac?

Depends on the printer you have.  If you have a usb printer, then what
we did in the file sharing preference will take care of of setting it
up for sharing, although you need to get the printer driver activated
for every computer that you want to use this printer.  Go to print
center  (Applications>Utilites>Print Center).  Launch it and add the
printer.  Incidentally, on older (slower) computers like my Wallstreet,
I like to add the print center to the applications that launch at start
up.  You do that again in the system preferences.  In the top row is
login items.
Click the add button, navigate to the print center and choose it.  you
can check the box so that it's hidden.  In my experence, if you don't
do that, when you print a document it takes three or four bounces to
launch print center before a document prints.  Just speed things up.

There is one other thing you might need to do depending on the printer.
  If it's an appletalk network printer, like most apple laser printers
or my hewlett packard 6MP printer  (essentially most postscript network
printers), you have to activate appletalk.  Again it's in the system
preferences, under the network items, choose the appletalk tab then
check the box to turn appletalk on.

> Incidentally, I have a dedicated line for the modem (but DSL isn't an
> option, and cable is flakey here). What I want to enable is internet
> sharing so someone besides my daughter can be on the internet every so
> often.

Father of 3 daughters.  Nuff said

> It may be some configuration problem I don't recognize yet. Wireless is
> very new to me. I'm trying to not use encryption until I can actually
> make the network work, then bring in encryption and firewalls as I
> learn how.

Well, when you're in the airport admin utility, when you select the
network tab and then check the box to distribute addresses and then the
radio button for dhcp and nat, you have activated the firewall in the
base station.  so if you use dhcp, you already have the firewall.
Incidentally, by checking the DHCP radio button in the base station,
that's the base station side of the dhcp you selected in the network
pane for the cisco card.  You know, the "Ethernet Adapter (en1)".
That's what makes the connection automatic.  Oh, and when you make all
these changes, for the airport admin utility, click update at the
bottom and for the system preferences, select apply now at the bottom,
so all the changes take effect.

  I'm not so excited about encryption or password login.  Guess it
depends on where you live.  I'm out in the boonies.  If you live in a
highrise, or in an area where someone might glob onto you connection
outside your house, that'd be an entirely different situation.

Good luck!

> -
> --
> Jim Eddy                                              James Eddy

John Slavin
Kirksville, MO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]