Thanks for the replies on the trackpad button. I think I can live with
it... I can cope with with trackpad clicking, because my clumsy
fingers/hands are always unexpectedly clicking by accident:-(

Regards the brightness controls. I get nothing in OS 9.0/9.2, but when I
installed OS X Jaguar, the brightness buttons suddenly started working as
expected (in OS X!?)

Another thing I noticed almost straight away after waking from sleep was
a noticeable pink twinge down the left hand side of the display. After 15
seconds or so, it has almost completely disappeared. A quick search on
Google turned up the report in Macintouch that I had probably read a long
time ago - the dreaded Pismo Pink Screen of Death!

This report is not that conclusive, many people got their LCD replaced
under AppleCare, but it is not obvious if this is really the sign of a
failing LCD/backlight? Can anyone confirm if the symptoms are likely to
get worse and eventually lead to LCD failure? :-(

A bit of a bummer on an otherwise pristine Pismo :-( But I think I will
be retiring my WallStreet after all. i have got 512MB RAM on order from
Crucial already :-)

Mike