Hello all,

I want to introduce myself into the world of digital photos, mainly
family snapshots for screen and webuse, but I have run into some
problems. I need a way to get the digital pictures from the camera to the
Mac, and this is where it seems to go wrong.
I have a 8600/G3 with all PCIslots filled, and no USB available, and a
Powerbook G3 Kanga (not cardbus compliant), and about all recent digital
cameras talk USB...

* I won't buy an other Mac, just for the sake of getting USB.
* I'm not looking forward to the serial connection like the Quicktake
camera family.
* Getting the Kanga cardbus compliant is out of the question.
So what are my options ???

The only option I can come up with is the use of a PCMCIA adaptor for
CompactFlash cards (or other memory cards) but I have some questions with
this :
* Pro/con of this route ??
* Is this possible in the 16bit PCMCIA slots of the Kanga ??
* Do I need special software to read the cards, or do they just show up
on the desktop like a CD ??
* Can I write to the CFcards (backup, I've read of booting from them,
what about formatting them) ??
* What's the maximum size of CFcard the Kanga can handle (I've read about
type I and II)??
* Difference between CF and the others (Smartmedia,...) which seem to
require more expensive adaptors, any preferences ??
* Are there any other things to consider going this route ?? Or other
possibilities (SCSI) ??

I would like some real world experience and hands-on knowledge. Does
anybody use this route with digital cameras ??

TIA, Bramke

For completeness :
8600/G3-450/928MBram/PCIvideo/PCIsound/PCI-IDE cards
PB G3-250 Kanga/160MBram
All OS 9.1

--
Bramke