bramke on 3/31/03 2:57 PM wrote:

> The only option I can come up with is the use of a PCMCIA adaptor for
> CompactFlash cards (or other memory cards) but I have some questions with
> this :
> * Pro/con of this route ??
> * Is this possible in the 16bit PCMCIA slots of the Kanga ??
> * Do I need special software to read the cards, or do they just show up
> on the desktop like a CD ??

The PCMCIA adapter will work just fine on your Kanga. Up until I got my
iBook, I was using one on a PB1400 and a Wallstreet G3. I also tried it in a
PB3400 and a PB5300 which worked fine. Now I either use the USB cable, or a
small USB adapter (to conserve the camera batteries).

No software or drivers required. It will appear just like a zip, CD etc.

> * Can I write to the CFcards (backup, I've read of booting from them,
> what about formatting them) ??

You can write to the various media (CF, SmartMedia, etc.) but I wouldn't
recommend reformatting them or you won't be able to use them with you camera
again, at least until you reformat it again in the camera.

> * What's the maximum size of CFcard the Kanga can handle (I've read about
> type I and II)??

The Compact Flash (CF) card only comes in one physical size, so that's a
moot point. You can get it in a number of different storage sizes though,
but even this does not matter as far as the Kanga being able to handle it.

BTW, the PCMCIA adapter (for CF or SmartMedia) is a type one card.

> * Difference between CF and the others (Smartmedia,...) which seem to
> require more expensive adaptors, any preferences ??

SmartMedia cards physically are much smaller than CF, but there really
should be little if any difference in the cost of a PCMCIA adapter. I bought
my adapter about 18 months ago for $15. I think I got it at Target. Just
shop around.

The biggest difference I've seen is the capacity of CF vs. SmartMedia.
Because SmartMedia is so much smaller physically, the amount of storage is
also limited. The largest SmartMedia I've seen is 128MB, while CF is up to
1GB. Price wise they cost about the same per MB of storage. Check out
dealram.com for some price comparisons. Look under memory cards.

Right now I am using an Olympus Camedia C-2040 Zoom, 2.1 megapixel camera.
It's an older camera but I love the image quality and I especially love how
well it does in low light. I have two 64MB SmartMedia cards and so far
they've served me well, and I take a lot of pictures.

One of the best thing about digital is that you can take lots and lots of
pictures. This is especially nice when you shoot a bunch and then later go
through and pick out the best shots. On class trip to Washington DC last
year (I chaperoned my son's class) I shot almost 1300 pictures in 4 days. I
narrowed it down to about 350 images and was able to put together a terrific
slide show for the students using iPhoto, which I turned into a QuickTime
movie afterwards.

If you want a good source for reviews, check out dcresource.com, they have a
wide variety of

-Mark