From: Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (G-Books)
Sent: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:21:44 -0700
Subject: Re: Digital camera

> Ryan Coleman wrote:
>
> > I disagree. I work in a photolab and to get the kind of shots that are
> > reprintable to the size needed to match 35mm would cost you between $3500
and
> > $7500 right now.
> >
> > Stick with film, maybe get a SCSI negative scanner if you need it. But
don't
> > go digital yet. I do sports photography and I always have a 35mm backup
to my
> > Nikon D100 just in case something goes awry. The battery in the digital
needs
> > to be recharged once a week, but my 35mm has had the same 4AA's for the
last
> > three years (I shoot about 500 rolls of 35mm a year).
>
> I think you're missing the point.
>
> Yes, to a large extent, if you're serious about film, digital cannot
> match film, yet, but 99% of the photographers in the world *never*
> progress beyond 4x6 enlargements from Walgreens.
>
> They'd be perfectly well served by a digital point-n-shoot instead
> of the 35mm point-n-shoot they have.
>
> But the liberating feeling that Ed is talking about comes from the
> fact that I can take 100 pictures with my digital camera, see the
> results *immediately* and toss the ones I don't want, and not worry
> about paying for developing 4 or 5 rolls of film, truding off to
> Walgreens to drop them off, or pick them up, or the wait between
> what you think you shot and when you see what you actually shot.
>
> Most people are, as Ed is, inhibited by the thought that 'each shot
> I take is gonna cost me $X', whereas a digital camera is free (yes,
>  I know about the costs associated with increased battery
> consumption, etc, but frankly, it's  a lot cheaper than buying and
> developing film.)
>
> I've had professional and serious amateur photographers tell me that
> they've improved their skills noticeably within days of getting a
> decent digital camera, simply due to the immediate feedback.
>
> Moreover, with most photographic subjects, they can go right back
> and get the shots they missed, due to the instant feedback.
>
> It *is* an extraordinarily liberating experience.

I'm not missing the point, at least what I see as the point. Digital photos
are not reprintable. The best quality will get you a 4x6 period.But I see
people come in here all the time (these people are novices) getting 5x7, 8x10
and even 12x18's of photos because the price is right.

BTW, a 1.3MP camera is a 3x5 print, not a 4x6. Yes, the immediate response on
know what you got is nice, but if the world were fair we would never have to
check our photos because we know what we shot. I have that on a daily basis
(but I do have the experience of 10+ years of shooting film).

And when it comes to any type of camera, prints or developing: You get what
you pay for.

--
Ryan Coleman
System Administrator