I don't know what the heck you are going-on about how stupid Apple is
regarding OS X and sleep. What I do know is that it is
extremely,extremely simple and convenient to put my Pismo to sleep in
OS X (and doesn't require Applescripting, Command-Tabbing, etc. ,
etc.). Simply press the power button once. This brings up a dialog that
lets you put the machine to sleep, shut it down, restart or cancel this
command. To execute any of these you press:

"S" for Sleep
"Enter" for  shut down
"R" for restart
"Command-Period" to cancel the dialog

Couldn't be simpler, fast, convenient ... well done Apple.

... e