At 4:34 PM -0400 5/30/03, James G (Jim) Hardwick wrote:

>Tho' the connector at the mac will present a challenge, has anyone tried Radio Shack?
> They have one hell of a selection of generic power supplies.  At one local outlet a
>50 something clerk took one look at my Olympus DS-330 (voice recorder, mac
>compatible!), and guided me to the rack where he set me up with a power pod and
>connector (sold together but picked out separately) that worked like a charm.

The connector is a small stereo phone plug with a shell built around it so it can't
accidentally be plugged in somewhere else. In a pinch when I leave my power supply at
work and need volts I use a miniature stereo phone plug (1.5 mm? - it is smaller than
the audio phone plug on the computer) and a lab power supply. The power is 24 volts at
1.875 amps. The supply should be current limited because phone plugs can short out
when they are plugged in.

>One consideration--is power management done in the mac or at the power supply end?

Power management is done in the Mac, but be sure the power supply is overload limited.

Paul