Hello fellow listers:
Thanks for the advice provided in such a limited amount of time.
Fortunately, things turned out to be a little more fortunate that I
expected.  My parents are going to help cover most of the extra expense, so
selling the PowerBook actually became less of an issue than it was at the
beginning.

So, I decided to forgo anything risky and just struck a deal with my
brother.  He's in high school, so I think a laptop computer, especially one
as powerful as a Pismo still is, will be a good tool for him, and I'm hoping
it will motivate him.

Plus, I can swap out the nice 5400rpm drive into my new laptop, which makes
me super happy!  I can't wait... This 1Ghz TiBook may be obsolete come July
14, but at least it will last me as long as my Pismo, I hope.  And hopefully
the Pismo will follow my brother through high school.  And I'm turning him
into a Mac user!

Peter