At 11:57 PM -0400 4/6/2003, Andre Ruegg wrote:
>I just switched from a dial-up connection to ADSL and love it, however, now
>my Wallstreet and iBook don't seem to be able to see each other.
>
>BEFORE: I used a crossover ethernet cable to directly connect the Wallstreet
>and iBook and shared the dial-up connection through the Wallstreet via
>IPNetRouter. Wallstreet running OS 9.2.2 and the iBook running Jaguar. The
>computers could recognize each other.
>
>AFTER: ADSL modem, Wallstreet, and iBook connected to NetGear Wireless
>router. Wallstreet and iBook can share the broadband connection but do not
>recognize each other as being on the same network. Same OS configuration.
>
>I am a networking newbie and am not familiar with all the ins and outs of
>what settings should be set to whatever. Is there a good web site describing
>what I need to do? Apple's help system was not much help. I thought Jaguar
>was supposed to make networking easy?

There isn't enough information so I'll  guess some.  I'm assuming you
were connecting between the machines using AppleTalk.  Netgear makes
two wireless routers, the 314 which does send AppleTalk through the
wireless connection and the 814 which doesn't.  You can still connect
using IP.  You need to make sure the IP option is turned on on the
Wallstreet in the File Sharing control panel.  You will also need to
know the iBook IP address to enter it in the Chooser on the
WallStreet.  The iBook can browse for IP AppleShare servers.  Also if
you are using DHCP issued addresses from the router you may want to
change them to static addresses (either via DHCP or manually entered).

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA