Jon Glass wrote:

> Personally, while I still prefer chemical for "serious" stuff, I find
> myself wishing I had a good digital camera. I haven't bought one yet,
> because I can't afford the quality I want. :-) So, I keep shooting
> chemical, being careful on what I shoot (because of the cost) and
> scanning the better results.

My solution was to get a very cheap (less than $200 used) digital camera and
use it for things I know I want to distribute only via the www. This way I
still have quality with no more investment (film) and digital when needed
(mostly eBay stuff), and I can still take my high quality film images I
create underwater and scan them if I really need them on the web.

Until I can afford a digital camera that can equal Kodachrome (and someone
starts making them) I will stick with film..... by the way, the digital
recorders respond to light differently than film too, so if you were to
shoot identical images on film and digitally you will see a difference
beyond just pixels.....

Both formats have their place in life, and will for some time, but I must
say I was told in 1990 while working in a high end camera store in
Rochester, NY that film cameras would be dead in 10 years because of
digital. It's been 13 and they are still making film cameras, granted they
are suffering a slump in sales growth due to digital, but not dead......
yet.....
--
Alan Miller
Underwater Photographer