On 3/31/03 5:54 PM, Ryan Coleman posted:

>I disagree. I work in a photolab and to get the kind of shots that are
>reprintable to the size needed to match 35mm would cost you between $3500
>and $7500 right now.
>
>Stick with film, maybe get a SCSI negative scanner if you need it. But don't
>go digital yet. I do sports photography and I always have a 35mm backup to
>my Nikon D100 just in case something goes awry. The battery in the digital
>needs to be recharged once a week, but my 35mm has had the same 4AA's for
>the last three years (I shoot about 500 rolls of 35mm a year).

I can't figure out which post Ryan is responding to. I work half-time in
a local camera shop, where I'm a 35mm and digital expert. At this point,
digital can match the quality of film unless you're shooting with a 4x5
camera.

There are lots of variables in digital photography, but the most
important one is megapixels. Even a lowly 1 megapixel (MP) camera will
give you just great 4x6 snapshots. I've made reasonably sharp 5x7s from
my 1.3 MP Canon PowerShot A50.

Part of this depends on how you're making your final print. If you're
using a color inkjet printer, a resolution of 180-200 dots per inch in
the original file is fine. Using the lower figure:

4" x 6" = 720 x 1080 pixels = 0.78 MP
5" x 7" = 900 x 1260 = 1.13 MP
8" x 10" = 1440 x 1800 = 2.6 MP
11" x 17" = 1980 x 3060 = 6.0 MP
20" x 30" = 3600 x 5400 = 19.4 MP

Of course, 20 x 30 poster prints tend to be viewed from further away, so
150 dpi resolution would be fine, which requires 13.5 MP.

Today's top-end digital SLR from Kodak has a 14 MP imager. If you're
going to print out using a large inkjet system, you could easily pull off
a 20 x 30 poster.

For other processes, such as dye sublimation or "wet" printing (producing
the final print on photographic paper), you need higher resolution. A
local lab does top quality work when customer files are provided at 250
dpi....

4" x 6" = 1000 x 1500 = 1.5 MP
5" x 7" = 1250 x 1750 = 2.2 MP
8" x 10" = 2000 x 3000 = 6 MP
11" x 17" = 2750 x 4250 = 11.7 MP
16" x 20" = 4000 x 6000 = 24 MP

The difference is because of the way inkjet prints tiny dots to the
screen while other processes are dye-based. For the better quality
output, you have to double the number of pixels. If you're having prints
done in a digital minilab, these are the figures you want to use.

You can get excellent 8x10 dye-based prints from 5 MP cameras and the few
3 MP FujiFilm models (such as the 601 and 602) that create 6 MP files
within the camera. The same may apply to the Sigma SLR with the new
Foveon imager. But for sharpest results, a camera with a 6 MP or better
imager will do the job.

There are some models available for as little as $500 than can produce 6
MP files (the Fuji 601), although the zoom range is somewhat limited.

If you want the ability to change lenses, you're looking at $1,500
minimum for a camera body, such as the just announced 6 megapixel Canon
EOS 10D. Unless you're doing large art prints, 6 MP should be plenty of
quality.

The step beyond that is Kodak's 14 MP beastie ($4,000 plus the cost of
Nikon-mount lenses), which can easily create a gorgeous 12" x 18"
miniposter using dye-based processes or a very nice 20" x 30" print using
inkjet technology.

Unless you can justify the expense of a $1,500 camera body, serious
photographers may as well stick with film for the next year or two.
Minolta has a wonderful new $300 film scanner that all the computer and
photo magazines are raving about; with it you can create 11 MP files from
your 35mm slides or negatives. (Also a great way to get the best of your
old images into your computer.)

Film vs. digital depends on your needs. For the average snapshooter, a 2
MP camera is all they'll ever need. For those who might make an 8x10 once
in a while, a 3 MP camera will do the job. But for demanding
photographers, you really want 5 MP as a realistic minimum -- and a lot
more than that if you plan on going beyond the 8x10 level of print.

(BTW, guess which Mac geek was a camera geek before he got involved with
computers?)

--
Dan Knight, president        /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Cobweb Publishing, Inc.      \ / No HTML/RTF in email

<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/9910/27.deb.shtml>