Hi:

I sent a post a couple of weeks back about my Pismo (10.2.6 w/ 768MB) and one of our Powerbook G4/400Mhz (10.2.4 and 10.2.6) slowing down to a screeching halt. I copied my original post below.

I discovered the problem and wanted to pass it along to everyone on the list. It turns out our dual 1Ghz G4 w/ OSX Server 10.2.6 has a problem with the DHCP server. I switched both of these machines to static IP addresses and the problem immediately disappeared. We also had an original 233Mhz iMac rev. B running OS 9.2.2 that was getting frequent "pauses" where the system would lock up for 3-10 seconds and then start working again intermittently throughout the day... really causing a lot of heartache and wasted time. As soon as I switched that machine to a static IP, the problem disappeared as well.

Hmmmm. Has anyone seen this? Is this a problem with Apple's DHCP server implementation or is this possibly a problem with how I setup the DHCP server (I don't see how, it is so freakin' simple to setup) or maybe something wrong with how our network or DNS is setup? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'd like to really resolve this and get these machines back on DHCP but at least for now I'm back to working at full speed.

... Eric