On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 09:12 PM, Eric Morrison wrote:

Hmmmm. Has anyone seen this? Is this a problem with Apple's DHCP server implementation or is this possibly a problem with how I setup the DHCP server (I don't see how, it is so freakin' simple to setup) or maybe something wrong with how our network or DNS is setup? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'd like to really resolve this and get these machines back on DHCP but at least for now I'm back to working at full speed.

Digging deep into my nil knowledge, and only so-so experience with DHCP, but based on my rotten experience with my ISP, I would suggest that the problem exists on both ends. On the client end, there is nothing you can do. When a mac wants a DHCP address, it can freeze your computer for up to 10 seconds while it waits to get one.

On the server side, is it possible that it was giving IP leases for too short a time? If wireless, it may be that the computers were losing their IP addresses, and being forced to resubmit for addresses. If not short leases, I would check for poor wireless connections. In our house, it was this combo of poor wireless and this nice, long lag that the Mac OS allows that was causing this problem. That was our experience. HTH somehow, and someway...
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland