Eric said:
We also had an original 233Mhz iMac rev. B running OS 9.2.2 that was getting frequent "pauses" where the system would lock up for 3-10 seconds and then start working again intermittently throughout the day... really causing a lot of heartache and wasted time. As soon as I switched that machine to a static IP, the problem disappeared as well.
I say:
This is really amazing because I have a 266 RevA Beige G3 running 9.2.2 that has been driving me nuts for months. It has these hangs that last from 10 to 70 seconds--mostly 20 secs. I'll just be twiddling with the mouse and there will suddenly be a 10 second hang. No crash--just a hang.
I have tried all sorts of things to make them go away and every time I think the problem is gone--maybe for a day--it pops up again.
The computer rarely crashes--it just hangs. But what is killing me is that I want to do backups to it from other computers. If it hangs for 15 seconds, then it just slows things down, but if it hangs for 60 seconds the link gets dropped and bad things happen.
I have even turned off appletalk and file shareing and it still happens, but I haven't tried a fixed IP address. (I'm wondering what could be happening in the background with appletalk off?).
Just today, I tried to do a backup and we went to lunch. I came back and everything had run for 2 hours. My secretary then rebooted her machine (with sys updates) and boom--a long hang and the backup crashes. So possibly it's the DHCP?
By the way, I find the OSX 10.2.6 on my 550 TiBook to be vastly superior networkwise than some oder versions. (I still have to print out of classic though).