On Saturday, June 14, 2003, at 05:39 PM, Ryan Coleman wrote:

On 6/14/03 4:41 PM, "Kurt Appling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the
Cybertrough:

RE; Im getting tons of them also, I wonder if its a worm or virus thing?

There is a new strin of Klez and Bugbear circulating since last week. Could
have something to do with it. People are subbed to this list on PC's.

Still strange, I have not seen anything hit my mailbox like that (I have read the virii warnings out there though).

this specific problem isn't usually a virus or worm, but rather someone using your email address as their return-address and then sending a bunch of spam. if you view the full headers, you can't always tell what ISP or IP address the spammer is at, but you can always see what open relay SMTP server they're using.

someone did this to me about a year ago. they were a PPP dialup user in italy, using an open relay mail server in japan. I complained frequently to both ISPs (the open relay and the dial in), but kept getting responses in italian and japanese (surprise!). a little bit of babelfish, and i managed to explain the situation to them. it took a couple of weeks, but the open relay realized their folly and turned their server into a closed relay. i'm not sure what, if anything, the italian ISP ever did.