Not to sound like a jerk, but that is like saying "cause I want it different it should be." For example, I don't think Final Cut should take so long to render, but it does. The direct connection here is that it is saying a three and a half year old PowerBook [Pismos came out in 2000 and only had their hard drives upped never had a speed bump before the G4s came out in 2001] should behave as snappy as what?

Sad to say but it is not as perfect a world as I would like either, and we must accept that we grade on a curve. If my Pismo were as fast as my 733 G4 then my 733 G4 would actually be faster and my basis for comparison would go up. Or if OS 9 had never run on a PowerBook then I couldn't compare OS X to it on the same hardware for speed. It would be nice if they were faster in response time but it is to be expected of all things.

On a side note, mine is a 400/768/40GB and the biggest speed increase I have seen since getting to 384MB of RAM was adding a 5400rpm drive over the 4200 that had been there. In fact that sped it up more than bringing the RAM up to 768 it seems sometimes.

David