I completely understand. I have a PowerBook G4 and still notice the sluggishness. Even Classic is fantastically snappy compared to X.
The reason is that OS X has fantastic multi-tasking capabilities, at the sacrifice of UI responsiveness. OS 9 stops everything while you hold down the mouse button, OS X stops nothing.

Apple's own internal tests cited this as a major focus area (along with boot-up and login time), and one that has been tackled in Panther. Although it pains me to say it, it looks as if you are going to have to shell out for another OS upgrade.

Matt