Tom Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>This is OT as strictly it has nothing to do with Macs per se at all,
>but I can't think of anywhere else to ask the question. So my
>apologies, and I ask for your indulgence.
>
>I frequent eBay.co.uk. In recent months I;ve noticed a strange
>phenomenom, in that it can take a very long time for a page to load. I
>mean minutes. I have an ADSL cinnection, so it's not line speed, and
>indeed looking at my router during most of the delay there won't be any
>traffic. I get messages on the status line like this "completed 1 of 4
>items : 2 errors".
>
>The bizarre thing is that this beaviour varies from week to week. Last
>week, for example, the site was very responsive. Since their weekly
>Friday morning maintenance shut-down, it's been like treacle.
>
>I've tried raising the issue with eBay but with no success at all -
>they won't even acknowledge it. Furthermore I'm pretty certain it's an
>external issue - it's the same using both Safari & IE on my PowerMac,
>Safari on the Lombard, and even IE5.5 on a PC laptop.
>
>Does anyone else see such behaviour? Anyone got any suggestions as to
>why it happens? Reply off-list of you'd prefer not to take up list
>bandwidth.

I've seen a similar phenomena on some sites.

What I believe is happening is that one or more of the banner ads aren't
companies.  These are the ads you see for X10 minicams and assorted junque
(the ginzu knives of the internet, as it were).

Some banner ad companies either oversubscribe their service and/or their
server crashes, so the ad never loads or loads so slowly that it times out.
Some browsers will display each sublink they're loading along the bottom
of the window so you can see what in particular it's trying to load (this
is the information you should report to the site's webmaster--if you can
get it).

Sometimes, if you hit the browser 'stop' button it will display the parts of
the page that have loaded (which are often the only parts you're interested
in anyway) with a generic icon over the parts that didn't load.  This is the
one--and probably only--case where popup ads are better: if the 'ad' site
is down it won't take the whole referencing page with it.

This can be a difficult problem to resolve because sometimes the ad sites
work fine from one area but are horribly slow (or unreachable) from another.
I think some of the ad sites change domains frequently to outwit software
that blocks "known" ad sites (actually, it doesn't block them; it intercepts
them and returns a blank page--so the browser thinks the link has been
resolved and displays a blank banner ad), and there can be delays in
propagating domain names around the internet.  Also, some sites are
reluctant to address this problem because they get revenue from banner ads
and don't want to bite the hand that feeds them (not fully realizing that
that same hand is choking their site to death and rendering it all but
unusable).

-Jeff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"You can't brew a premium lager with a kool-aid mentality."  --Harold Green in
_The_Red_Green_Show_