Just catching up on Digests and didn't see a satisfactory response to
Herb's question:

then Jim Eddy wrote:
>I had the same problem. I couldn't work out any way short of
>disassembling the machine, which is what I did. Fortunately I had the
>teardown pdf to follow. It wasn't as hard or as nerve racking as I
>feared, but you have to _completely_ strip the machine, even removing
>the motherboard, to get at those springs. It was successful, though.

Yikes Jim, there _is_ a better way . . . didn't you see the following
procedure in the pdf? Much easier to do than to explain BTW.

>From the MotherShip's problem solver instructional pdf:
Sprung I/O Door Repair Procedure

An I/O door is sprung if it will not close all the way and has no snap to
it. It is not necessary to take the unit apart to get the door back on
its spring.

1. Grasp the top and bottom edges of the I/O door in the center of the
door.

2. Pull the I/O door away from the back of the computer in an even
motion, keeping the bottom and the top of the door aligned. It may be
necessary to hook the bottom lip of the I/O door with a fingernail to
avoid tilting the door.

3. Pull the I/O door out approximately five to ten millimeters (0.2 to
0.5 inches) from the I/O wall until you hear a pop.

4. Still holding the I/O door with your fingers, rotate it to the closed
position and let it relax back into place. You will hear another pop as
the spring goes back into its proper position.

5. Open and close the I/O door several times to make sure it operates
properly.

Hope that helps someone out there,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/