<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Recently swapped the 233mhz chip on my wallstreet for a 300mhz I saw on
> >ebay. I am running 512mb of ram, and OSX10.2.6.
> >The machine is getting very very hot. So hot that if you lift the keyboard
> >and touch the large heatsink plate it gets too hot too touch. The fan
> > never seems to operate.
> >Any ideaas or commetns aprecaited. Specifically:
> >How hot is too hot?
> >Is there any particular aspect of my setting causing the heat 9eg shoud I
> >reduce the ram, or switch back to the 233mhz chip?
> >Finally, is there anyway to test the fan short of pulling it out?
>
> (a) the fan kicks on only when the processor temp gets too high
> (b) if the fan fails to kick on, and the temp is way out of spec, the
> machine will simply shut off spontaneously to prevent long-term damage.
>
> the heat sink being too hot to touch is not surprising - it's a heat sink,
> that's what it's there for.
>
> RAM is one of the hottest items in a computer, and when you max RAM as you
> have done, the heat's going to go up. to give you a parallel, i have a
> PowerBook G4 867. When i have only 256MB RAM in it, the fan only kicks on a
> couple of times a day, and only runs for a few minutes when it does. When I
> upped to 1GB RAM, my fan comes on once every couple of hours, and probably
> stays on for 20 minutes.

Also, have you replaced the HD? The 2GB that came stock in my Wallstreet seems
to run cooler than the 10GB Apple-branded Toshiba that replaced it. The drive
was originally a stock drive from a Pismo. WallyNavi gets kinda warm nowadays
with the new drive...I might be looking into an under-laptop fan pad for it
just for safety's sake.

Good points on the drive: it's definitely quieter with the newer drive. Also
the obvious: room enough for MacOS 9.1+Linux PPC.

-.\\<-H-
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273