on 07/07/03 01:44, David M. Ensteness at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yes, 10.2 does have an "archive and install" option. If you do archive
> and install OS X places the "System" folder in "previous systems" and
> preserves your user's account and data.
>
> You're applications may or may not be affected, I haven't used it often
> enough to know.
>
> David
>
> On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 12:26  AM, |n|i|c|k| wrote:
>
>> hey list....In mac os 9 there is a clean install mode that only
>> replaces the system files....but this also replaces extensions so your
>> apps wont work.......Does os X (10.2) have a clean install and if so
>> will all my apps be alright.....?

Any application that relies on things that have been installed in /Library
might not function properly, it's hard to tell. Applications that have an
installer and ask for your administrative password might install something
in /Library and some will let you know. In that case, you will have to go to
the previous system and move anything in /Library that might have been
installed by an application, or you may want to re-install those
applications. If you never install in /Library but rather in ~/Library, then
you should be safe.

Like others mentioned, it's hard to tell...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.