On 07/14/2003, Pete Gregory apparently wrote:

>Any bright ideas as what the problem is and how to fix it?
>
>My 3 year old pismo (OS 9.22, 382 Mb Ram, stock 20Mb HD) has stopped
>recognising CD's.  I put a CD or CD-R in the drive, close the unit, the
>drive spins up, spins down about a second later and that's it.  Checking
>in sys profiler shows 'no media' and the eject button on the unit still
>works.  I've tried with a few CD's, pulled the drive out and reseated it
>but no joy.  However, it happily reads DVDs with no problems.
>
>Model is LG (DVD-ROM DRN8080B rev LAB8) with driver version 1.4.7.
>
>I have not loaded any new software or tweaked the hardware for a long time.
>
>My workaround of using fetch to copy from a linux box over the network
>is rather painful and only works with mac disks.
>
>Suggestions gratefully appreciated.
>Pete.
Pete, you possibly have the dreaded 'LG dying' problem (which I had
shortly before my original warranty ran out). The LG model of drive has
documented problems with failing way too soon (the Matsushita drive
doesn't appear to have the problem). I had similar symptoms when my drive
started going south.

Since I'd guess you're not even covered by AppleCare, you may be out of
luck (if you are still - even barely - within your AppleCare warranty,
RUN your Pismo to the closest Apple service provider for an exchange of
the drive. Heck, call Apple first to ensure that they know of the problem
occurring within your warranty!).

>From my own and others reports of how Apple handles the replacement, you
may get another (possibly refurbished?) LG drive, or if you get really
lucky, you may get the Matsushita drive. My replacement LG drive has been
working fine so far (Thank Heaven for that!).

HTH,

Jim Rohde

"Give what you have. To someone it may be better than you dare think."
     - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow