On 12/31/69 8:13 PM, "Jean-Marc Melchior" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (edited for
length):

> Hello List,
> I am new to the mac, I just recently bought me a little powerbook, now
> for getting started I need your help, it would be nice if somebody
> could tell me the essential downloads I need to make, probably first
> the OS update, then download safari, but I don't know further. Feel
> free to add programs, and games, thank you
> Jean-Marc

First, you should go to Preferences and check your system date and time.
Your email claims to have been sent 12/31/69!

>From the Apple Menu, choose System Preferences. Fix the date and time. Then,
run Software Update. If you don't have Bluetooth (which Powerbook did you
get, BTW?) or an iPod you can un-select those updates if you wish. After all
of the updates are downloaded, you will be prompted to restart. Many folks
recommend repairing permissions at this point. Applications->Utilities->Disk
Utility. Click on the First Aid tab, then select Repair Permissions.

Safari is a great browser.

Other programs that I use every day include Launch Bar, a keyboard based app
launcher, Watson, which is front end for a lot of information on the web
which is often faster than using Safari (crucial for TV listings). Sticky
Brain for storing all those bits of information and finding them quickly.

Games I'm playing these days include Super Mah Jongg from www.gamehouse.com
and Uplink which you can get from Ambrosia Software (www.ambrosiaSW.com)

www.versiontracker.com is a great resource for finding software. This list
is great. I've also learned a lot by reading the discussions in the Support
section of the Apple.com. One of my favorite sources for Apple news is
www.macminute.com.

Good luck
Meg
--