On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 12:12 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

K. wrote:

Bruce Johnson wrote:
Thomas Ethen wrote:

The serial number is also in System Profiler!

Only if the PRAM has never been reset.

Wait ONE... My imac se400 and pismo 400 have been had the PRAM reset too
many times to count and the serial # shows up in the profiler under the
last info block....Production Information..
Regards,
Mike K

Ok, then *some* systems will no longer show the serial number in the system profiler when the PRAM has been reset.

there's not a single mac model that stores the SN in PRAM. there are two possibilities - older models store it in the boot sector of the hard drive. others have it encoded in the logic board ROM.

so... on some models, zero-all-data and/or replacing the hard drive will destroy the stored s/n.

on all recent vintage macs, replacing the logic board is the only way to erase this info.