On 7/22/03 1:49 PM, Paul Nicholson posted:

>Yesterday I picked up a D-Link wireless 802.11b router for 40 dollars
>after rebates. I've never used wireless with my two year old tiBook.
>
>It works well if the tiBook is within a few feet of the router. If I sit
>at my dining room table, 35 feet away and in clear visual line of sight of
>the router, the connection barely works.
<snip>
>The tiBook is also unusable 20 feet and one wall away in an adjacent room
>to the router.

The titanium case of the 15" PowerBook G4 just sucks up the radio
frequencies. My Belkin 802.11b router is no more than 10' from my desk,
yet my PowerBook G4 rarely registered a signal strength greater than 60.
That was a clear line of sight -- no walls, doors, nothing but air
between me and the router.

When I sent my TiBook in for service, I put the AirPort card in my wife's
14" iBook. With the signal going through a wall, she's getting a 60+
signal strength at 8-10' from the router.

Attending Macworld Expos with my wife's original clamshell iBook and
later with my TiBook, there was a world of difference connecting to
AirPort in the press room as well. When finances permit, I'll look at
using an 802.11g wireless card in my TiBook instead of AirPort, since
that eliminates use of the internal antenna, which is blocked by the
titanium case.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

"As for Unix being 'inflexible,' 'expensive,' and 'complex,' we feel
those are terms much better suited to the closed and proprietary world of
Windows." Sun